At Jim Bell Architectural Design our process is unique and tailored to ensure that the experience of building your new custom home, or renovating your existing one, respects your time, money and dreams, while ultimately culminating in results that wow you—a custom home or cottage that is beautiful, functional and a joy for you and your family for years to come.
- listen to your desires and goals and provide feedback on lot attributes and benefits
- show you how many crucial custom home design decisions are strongly influenced by the physical properties of the build site
- discuss zoning, restrictions and the relationship between the natural characteristics of your property and desired build features
The site visit is complimentary and without obligation. So you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from Jim’s 30+ years of experience in architecture. Contact Jim today.
The Program Brief will document key elements of your project including: design objectives, space requirements, budget estimates, proposed schedule, site and zoning analyses, site survey and soil/geotechnical report.
A Program Brief will not only reduce headaches and smooth the process considerably, but will also reduce your overall design/build budget when compared to skipping this step and jumping into drawings and construction before your needs, wants and budget are fully understood.
By the end of this phase you will be well on your way to your custom dream home or cottage design with:
- a site plan, floor plans (with size and location of rooms) and key elevations
- 3D renderings and/or a physical model to help you visualize your home
- preliminary cost estimates for construction
Be assured; you will be part of the team and decision-making process every step of the way.
Generally, projects designed by one party and executed by another leave more room for interpretation and your complete vision may not be fully captured. Jim Bell offers a unique Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) approach to design build, meaning your project can be completed more efficiently and accurately. If you choose IPD, a collaborative team of design and construction professionals will work with you from the beginning to ensure seamless continuity from design through to move-in day.
With Jim Bell Design Inc the design of your custom home or cottage doesn’t end with the structure itself, but also includes the interior design and landscaping plan. Jim’s drawings will include interior finishes, room layouts, colours, fixtures, appliances, hard and soft landscaping and other design details that will make your house your home.
The construction documents are extensive and provide the specific details required for building your home or cottage.
1) Bidding – Solicit bids from two or more contractors and you select the one you want to build your home or cottage based on the cost and service they provide.
2) Negotiation – You choose a contractor and then negotiate with that company to determine the terms of the contract and the fees.
3) Project Management with Integrated Project Delivery (IDP) – If you choose this option, by this phase you will have already been working with a collaborative team of design and construction professionals from the beginning of the Schematic Design phase to ensure seamless continuity from design through to move-in day.
If you choose IDP, unlike most general contractors who have a defined group of contractors and certain suppliers and materials they use, when you work with JBDB, you make the choices. We will help every step of the way and we can make recommendations based on years of experience with professionals and suppliers who have provided exceptional materials and services—but if you have found products or contractors that you want to use, we’ll negotiate on your behalf. During construction we provide comprehensive management of all aspects of your project and act as the line of communication between you as the owner, and the subcontractors and suppliers. Our online Client Services Portal provides you with access to ALL documents and information related to your project: communication, schedule, budget, selections, documents and service… so you are in control every step of the way but we do the hard work for you.
And at every stage, there’s regular communication and follow-up to your questions and concerns. We always strive to exceed your expectations, and to do that, we need to be plugged in to your vision for the entire journey.
Our Latest Projects
From Our Clients
Just a note to say how happy Pat and I are with our new home. We had a lovely Christmas and have had numerous compliments on it. I am confident that with the quality of materials and workmanship used in the construction of our new home, it will remain attractive for years to come.
Just a quick note to let you know both Patti and I are very pleased with our new addition. Your organization delivered the project on time and on budget. We were very impressed with the quality of workmanship delivered by your sub-contractors and the rates which you negotiated. We are especially pleased with the support and service we received from your superintendent on site.
Cathy and David
A few years ago, we engaged Jim Bell to design a major remodel for our home in Ottawa. This was a very big commitment for us and something we'd be planning on doing for a few years. Throughout the entire process, Jim was not only a sound and innovative creative voice, but it was always tempered with reasonable, pragmatic thinking.We have no issue recommending Jim Bell Design to anyone considering a remodel project. Once again thank you for an excellent effort.