When designing a new custom home or renovating your existing home a complimentary consultation or site visit with Jim is the first step.
Once you decide to proceed with designing your home, cottage or renovation, the critical “Project Programming” phase is the next step. It’s an essential step that many designers and contractors miss. In order to design the ideal custom home or cottage for you, not only does Jim need to understand your vision, wants and needs, but you will need to understand them at a deeper level, with a highly-experienced architectural designer to guide you through the process. Sometimes the solution we think we want, isn’t exactly what we need or want when we really explore the possibilities. There may be an even better solution. By the end of this stage you’ll have a high-level view of all aspects of the project and understand what is possible for your site and budget.
The Program Brief will document key elements of your project:
- a professional architectural designer’s analysis of the feasibility of the project
- detailed room sizes, orientation, overall square footage, requirements for specific furnishing, appliances and essentials
- ‘look and feel’ of a potential design scheme
- requirements for municipal zoning regulations and building code concerns
- preliminary construction budget
- potential solutions for project challenges
- approximate timeline and review of the approval process
- schedule of services and fee proposal for next stages of project
A Program Brief will not only reduce headaches and smooth the process considerably, but will also reduce your overall design/build budget when compared to skipping this step and jumping into drawings and construction before your needs, wants and budget are fully understood.
To discuss your dream home or for a complimentary site visit or consultation, contact Jim Bell today.